THE BAR BUILDING
The Bar Building - White Plains, New York
The 1926 Bar Building was designed by Benjamin Levitan, and was constructed on the site of the Newell/Court Street Theater. When first built, it claimed the fame of being the tallest building between Manhattan and the state capital in Albany. It also was home to The City Club which occupied the penthouse and roof garden until the depression caused its demise. Its name is derived from its location directly across the street from the original Westchester County Court House (demolished in 1978), and the fact that most of its tenants were lawyers. J.J. Sedelmaier Productions, Inc. moved into the penthouse in 1990, and took over the entire 10th floor in 1994. When there were attempts to acquire the Bar Building’s property through eminent domain, Sedelmaier pulled out all stops to present a case for saving the structure. Luckily, all the efforts of the many people involved were successful and the building remains in the midst of intense real estate development. A double 40 story tower consisting of a Ritz-Carlton hotel and apartments was recently constructed 8 feet next to the Bar Building.
Circa 1926 - "City Club" on roof/penthouse of The Bar Building